A profession in Special Educational Needs is both rewarding and challenging. Increasingly complex cases and time constraints are combining to add unprecedented pressure to the role. This can lead to burnout or an increase in those leaving the profession.
Reflective Supervision provides the time and space to pause, talk, reflect and process the daily work and issues that can, at times, feel relentless. Ultimately, it’s important that SENCOs and Inclusion Leaders feel supported in their work so that they can provide the best care possible to the children and young people they work with.
I provide reflective supervision sessions to give SEND leaders the opportunity to receive professional guidance and development through structured conversations. This helps them to ‘offload’, reflect and discuss their specific workload, to analyse their approach and explore alternative ways of working.
- Development of supervisee’s practice, skills, knowledge, insight, and confidence
- Helping supervisee to ensure their practice is of an appropriate standard and that they meet professional standards
- Provide a holding/containing space for the supervisee, giving emotional support and encouragement
A typical supervision session will last an hour (virtual or face to face offered) and includes:
- Time to talk and discuss specific issues
- Using a series of questions, we explore the challenges faced and ways to manage them
- We evaluate the way the supervisee is managing their work and look at what is working and what isn’t
- We discuss different approaches to challenges and agree actions if appropriate
The sessions provide valuable time in which SEND leaders feel heard and supported. They often leave with increased confidence and a sense that they are not alone in dealing with the issues they face each day. These little pockets of time can make a huge difference to their feelings of wellbeing.
If you would like to find out more about Reflective Supervision, please feel free to get in touch. I offer a no obligation 15-minute conversation to discuss how it may work in your setting. Please email me at email@example.com and we can arrange a mutually agreeable time to talk.
For more information about Reflective Supervision, and the latest SEND Code of Practice, please take a look my blog.